Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Disable Touchpad While Typing

I ran across this blog entry while browsing around aimlessly yesterday that I think will play a large part in keeping my sanity. It drives me crazy when I accidentally touch the touchpad on my laptop while typing, and the cursor ends up being moved to some random spot on my desktop where my typing resumes.

I'm not sure why this little tip is not more widely known, but I think it should be. Especially since it's so easy to do. Ensure the line Option "SHMConfig" "on" appears in the appropriate Input Device section in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Then stick the command sysdaemon -t -d in your list of session startup commands. Here's the appropriate section of my xorg.conf file for reference:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier         "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver             "synaptics"
        Option             "SendCoreEvents"         "true"
        Option             "Device"                 "/dev/psaux"
        Option             "Protocol"               "auto-dev"
        Option             "HorizScrollDelta"       "0"
        Option             "SHMConfig"              "on"
EndSection

Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment