Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tiny Tiny RSS Feed Reader

Lately, I've been missing something in a feed reader. In the past six months or so I've tried a plethora of different readers of different forms. I tried the desktop application style like Lifrea, the online flavors like Google Reader, and the Firefox extension kind like Sage. All have their benefits, but also disadvantages. For example offline readers make it a pain when one uses different machines, online reader services felt slow or sluggish, and cluttered. Not to mention they can't be modified.

I forget now how I heard about Tiny Tiny RSS now, but if I remember I'll update this post with well deserved props. This thing is perfect in my opinion. It's fast, it's open source, it's written in PHP/MySQL, and it's pretty feature complete. Even setup was a breeze and went without a hitch.

The interface is very clean and well organized. One can tell pretty early that some of the interface ideas in TTRSS were inspired by Google's great GMail interface like the ability to star articles as well as the familiar actions list, and in fact it very much has the feel of using your typical desktop email application. This reader can run in either single or multi-user modes, and you can publish your feeds and articles with others with a single click.

I'll not provide a list of features here since they do a pretty good job of that on their website. If you are not in love with your current reader, I very strongly suggest this gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment